Frequently Asked Questions
Got a question? We can help!
What is a society?
A society is a membership group created and run by students, for students. Each society has its own vibe – some students want to meet up to practice an art form like singing, dancing or performance arts. Other societies are based around campaigning and making change, volunteering or fundraising for a good cause. Many are the cornerstone of their community, be it faith, ethnicity or sexual orientation. And nearly all are having fun, getting their hands dirty or trying something new!
We even have a student-run magazine (over 100 years old and still going strong!), newspaper and radio station.
Goldsmiths Students' Union has a huge variety of societies to choose from and they are all open to members year-round. You can view a full list here: View all Societies and Sports Clubs
Why should I join a society?
Societies are a fantastic way to meet new people, make friends, learn something new and even discover a hobby or passion for life. Whilst your degree is a huge part of your university experience, many students say that being part of a society, sports team or other extra curricular activity has been one of the most important parts of their university life. The events you participate in as part of a society can give you skills for the future or help you find out new things about yourself as a person!
Becoming an official member of a society is the only way to get access all of their amazing events, community projects or other opportunities.
How do I join a society?
To join a society you need to register your membership on the Goldsmiths Students' Union website.
- Log into the Goldsmiths Students' Union website as a student. This will take you to the Goldsmiths single sign-in portal where you should use the same login credentials as you would for your Goldsmiths email or MyGoldsmiths account. Please see the Goldsmiths IT & Information Services page for more information about how to access this step.
- Once logged in you should be directed back to the Goldsmiths Students' Union website. Navigate to the Societies and Sports Clubs list and choose a society you would like to join.
- Look to the right-hand side of the page for membership options. Under 'JOIN' click 'Add to Basket'. The button should change to say 'Added to Basket'. You can repeat steps 2 and 3 as many times as you like until you have added all the memberships for societies you want to join.
- Go to your basket (click 'Basket' in the top left corner) and check you have added everything you wanted to add.
- Click 'Proceed to Checkout'. This will take you to the checkout page.
- If a payment is required, you will be prompted to put card details in. If not, just click 'Confirm'.
- You should be taken to a confirmation page and recieve an email receipt confirming your membership. You are now a member of one or more societies – yay!
If you experience any issues don't hesistate to drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the live chat function on the website.
Is there a limit on how many societies I can join?
There is no limit to how many groups you can join. As so many of our societies are free to join, the more the better!
Can I start a new society?
Can't find what you were looking for? If there isn't a society that takes your fancy, you can start your own. First though, check our list of societies and communities and make sure you're not duplicating something. If it already exists - join it!
You can find out more about starting your own society on this page: Start a new student group