If you want to change something at Goldsmiths SU, or you want to ask your elected representatives to work towards changing something at University, this is your opportunity to do so. All Goldsmiths students can use the form below to propose new policies and lobby requests or just tell us about their ideas.
How to submit a motion:
All motions should follow the below structure:
- Title: the title of your motion
- Proposer: the name and student email address of the person who is proposing the motion
- Seconder: the name and student email address of another student who agrees with your motion
- This union notes: Here you can list the facts that provide context to your motion
- This union believes: Here you can list opinions and values that support your motion and students should know
- This union resolves: This is the most important part of your motion, where you list the actions that you want to happen if the motion passes
For further guidance, look at examples of our existing policies on our policy library. You can also contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Submit your ideas
What happens to your motion?
When completing the form, you can say which committee you want your idea or motion to go to if you have a preference. To learn more about different committees, Student Forum or AGM and their functions see our Democratic meetings page.
Once you submit your motion, your Union Chair will go through it with our Policy Advisor to make sure it ends up at the right committee, where it will be discussed and voted on by members. If passed, motions will become SU policy and implemented in our work.
If an idea relates to small, easy to implement changes it will be directed straight to relevant staff at GSU management. On the other hand, ideas that relate to controversial matters will be taken to Referenda.