We're looking for a new trustee to join the Goldsmiths Students' Union Trustee Board for a term between two and four years.
We’re specifically looking for a Trustee with experience of strategic financial management and oversight; we actively welcome candidates from a black, Asian or non-white ethnic minority background.
We’ve gone on quite a journey over the last couple of years and will be making some key decisions about how best to achieve our aims and objectives and to develop our Strategic Plan over the coming months. Our organisation has rapidly changed and grown since summer 2016, seeing a significant increase in sports clubs, societies and support for student representatives, the development of new commercial outlets, and an improvement in our ability to understand student opinion and how we can influence Goldsmiths' decision making.
The role pack and person specification include more details.
Role Pack and Further Information (PDF)
Person Specification and Duties (PDF) - or Appendix A within Role Pack
Trustee Declaration Form (PDF) - or Appendix B within Role Pack
An Introduction to Goldsmiths Students' Union
- We're a charity with a turnover of about £2,000,000.
- We're independent from Goldsmiths, University of London.
- We're proud to be part of New Cross and Lewisham.
- We're a leading organisation for liberation.
- 1501 students voted in our 2018 elections.
- We run a 25-place nursery with 42 children on the roll.
- We have a 600-capacity venue in our building, as well as social-learning space, offices, a radio station and a cafe.
- We employ over 120 people.
- 1489 students have joined a society and 587 students have joined a sports club this academic year.
- The last Institutional Audit highlighted our programme of departmental representation as "best practice", where we provide over 80 students with bursaries, to enable them to engage in our Department Rep scheme.
- We'll spend about £40,000 this year on community building within academic departments.
- Over 4,000 students read our weekly emails, nearly 6,000 came to the two-day Welcome Fair this year, and 1,200 completed our annual student voice survey
- We've won extended library opening hours, changes to assessment regulations, a larger counselling team, cheaper rents in halls, and new activity on reducing the BME attainment gap.
- Nearly 11,000 students study across 17 departments at Goldsmiths.
- 66% of students are female, 64% of students are from the UK, 36% are on postgraduate courses, about 17% declare a disability when starting here, and 11% study part-time.
- The College does really well in its benchmark on recruiting from state schools and application rates, but poorly on satisfaction, retention and graduate outcomes.
If you have any questions, please get in touch:
JT, SU President and Chair of the Trustee Board - firstname.lastname@example.org
Dave Lewis, Chief Executive - email@example.com
How to Apply
You can either submit your application by downloading this application form and sending it back to us or by filling in this electronic form. Please send your application form or CV (alongside electronic form submission) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline is 23rd November 2018.