Funding available to you
Find out what funding is available for Societies.
Societies and Communities Fund
The Societies and Communities Fund is a democratically allocated fund of £10,000 given to students, by students. It is for student-led groups to use for projects and events throughout the year.
How does it work?
Student leaders (committee members of a society or community) can make an application of up to £500 through our funding form, which can be found here. Once that application is approved by a staff member, the society or community can present their project or event to their peers at the Societies and Communities Fund Forum.
Student leaders attending the forum are able to vote on every project and decide together how the funding is allocated and distributed.
When does it happen?
The Funding Forums happen on the last Wednesday of the month, a minimum of six times across the academic year.
Funding Forum dates for 2021/22
Wednesday 20th October 2021, 4-6pm
Wednesday 24th November 2021, 4-6pm
Wednesday 19th January 2022, 4-6pm
Wednesday 26th February 2022, 4-6pm
Wednesday 24th March 2022, 4-6pm
Wednesday 20th April 2022, 4-6pm
Societies and communities can begin to spend the money immediately after the results at the forum.
Are there conditions of funding?
Societies and communities must spend the money on what their application stated the money would be spent on as that is what the money has been allocated for. Any unspent funds will be returned to the Union, either following the project or event’s completion or at the end of the academic year (July).
What are some examples of things which will be funded?
- Activities or events led by an affiliated student group.
- Catering costs up to £50 per event.
- Printing costs up to £25 per event.
- Speaker, presenter, compare or coach costs.
- Group travel costs.
- Events that benefit the society and all its members.
What are some examples of things which will not be funded?
- Activities or events led by a group which is not affiliated with the SU.
- Alcohol – allowed at events but not funded by the Union. No alcohol is to be brought onto the Union premises where alcohol is already served (e.g. the Bar or Cafe).
- Unsustainable items or practices – allowed at events but not funded by the Union in line with the Green New Deal. This includes some types of animal products, single use plastics, excessive paper.
- Venue costs or Zoom pro accounts – the Union can supply a venue at no cost and therefore will not pay to hire off-campus venues. For online events, please use your Google Meets account via your society account or ask the societies coordinator to book a slot using the SU Zoom Pro Account.
- Activities which are against the Union's principles and values.
- Events that benefit an individual within a student group.
- Contributions towards degree and course costs.
- Retrospective funding for past events and projects – there is a funding forum every month so you have time to apply for money for events or projects you have coming up. All money that comes out of the societies fund must be voted for by student leaders in advance of it being paid for or purchased.
Apply to the Societies and Communities Fund